Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I'm not really missing

I don't mean to take so long between posts. Really, I don't. I have all these grand plans, you see, that involve taking pictures and actually loading them, and then the posts just don't happen! I decided to come and post a quick update, even though I don't have the pics just yet.

Last week was less than fun. Isaac had the flu - real, live, tested-positive-in-the-nose influenza. I don't know which kind, and I can't remember if the doctor told me. It doesn't matter that much, anyway - the baby was sick. He seemed fine Monday morning, but by the time he got up from his first nap he had a fever, which shot up to over 102. Off to the doctor we went, and he ended up having the flu. This caused me to panic quietly, as I have not had such a small baby be that sick before, but the pediatrician was wonderful. He prescribed Tamiflu for the rest of us (Schmooey being too young) and told me to keep the wee boy hydrated. He was clearly concerned, too, that such a young little guy would have the flu.

The good news? It really wasn't horrible. Zacky was definitely sick, but his fever stayed pretty low after that first day. That was a good thing, because he gagged and yakked all over me every time I tried to give him any Tylenol or Motrin. I got Tylenol in a couple of times, but only by sheer luck. He was able to keep nursing with no trouble, which was great. And now, he's really mostly better. I'm even thinking that we might still be able to go see my sister this weekend, even though I have basically canceled the trip in the interest of not exposing her 5 week old twins to the flu. (Everyone else there has had the flu shot. It's not that we don't give a hang about the rest of her family.)

So, last week the girlies spent a great deal of time watching TV and playing with their Webkinz. Emma was the next most ill, but she only had a fever for one night and after that was mostly fine, just a little tired. Abbie never got sick. Todd and I had a cough, and I was really tired, but whether that was flu or sleep deprivation is anyone's guess.

This week we are all much better, anyway. Tonna, my good friend and nanny, is on vacation. This is the third week without her. She usually does the laundry, among other things. I have been desperately trying to keep up with it, but somehow it's just never done. I think it's been breeding. It knows that she's not here and I can't keep it under control, so it's flaunting its ability to over run the house. Well, I have news for it - she's coming back next week! Ha!

The girlies and I have started our Birds lapbook from Hands of a Child. I'm going to have to see if I can get into lapbooking. I love the idea, but in reality, I'm not so good with longer term projects. I would like to do a lapbook in one day and have it be done. However, it's a very nice Charlotte-Masony project, in that you learn small chunks of information at a time and then do short activities for the lapbook. There are only 19 activities in this one. I just can't see this going on for 19 days, but what the heck. We have a great selection of birds at our feeders, and lots of books to read about birds. We can go outside in our yard and listen to all kinds of different bird songs. We really like birds around here. I suppose we can like them intentionally for 19 days. You think?

One of the cool things we did for science recently was to put an earthworm in a jar. We found a half-dead worm (nearly dehydrated after seeking respite from drowning on the sidewalk after a rain storm), took it home, and put it in the jar according to the directions in the MFW 1st grade teacher's manual. Well, mostly according to the diections - I didn't have any sand, so we used vermiculite. So, we covered the jar and tried not to peek too many times, but that worm never did anything. I told the girls to let it go, thinking that either one worm was just not going to show up in our jar (even though it was a small jar) or it had gone from half dead to all dead and we were out of luck.

So today, I looked at our jar, and there were TONS of worm tunnels. We even saw the worm on the side of the jar, digging merrily away. I was so excited! I showed the girls, so proud of our first-aid efforts to rescue the worm..... and then they informed me that they'd put a new worm in the jar. Humph. Well, it was still cool. Todd took a picture for me and I will try to post it soon... heh.

And, if you promise not to tell.... we've been playing a lot of Webkinz games! Even Todd and I are into this. I am now the proud owner of 4 pets: Imogen the LilKinz Googols, Millicent the LilKinz Horse, Eilonwy the Cow and Jenny Linsky, the black cat. I also have Hen Wen, my LilKinz pig to adopt on Saturday when it's really March - she will be the pet of the month so we will get all kinds of extra cash and prizes. Woo hoo! Todd and I are decorating Medieval rooms. Eilonwy is sleeping in mine. I also have a ballet room for Imogen, a country room for Millicent, and a royal cat room for Jenny Linsky. I have a garden for food and a yard for playing. I have an atrium that I'm starting to decorate. I am collecting a few other things for trade or possible future rooms. If that doesn't tell you that I've spent WAY too much time on the Webkinz site, then you're probably playing more than I am and we need to enter a recovery program together. The girls and I have made a deal that we won't log on until after 4pm when there are extra "events," but you know, yesterday my favorite game was the game of the day so I could earn lots of extra money and today there will be a hot air balloon on sale in the Curio Shop so..... maybe the post-4pm plan can start tomorrow.

All right, I'm just rambling. My boy is hungry and we haven't yet started school. It's lunch time, for goodness's sake! I will be back, I hope, with pictures soon.

1 comment:

  1. Yes you will... A picture of your desk! :)