Friday, January 30, 2009

This Week In Review

This was a pretty good week! I threatened the girls with losing horse lessons for 2 weeks if they didn't shape up, and amazingly, we got a lot of school done. My goal is to have school be a drama-free zone. [Insert hysterical laughter]

We started subtraction in math this week, after much deliberation about moving on before addition facts were mastered. We're still working on the facts, but they understand how to add, and it's just time to move on. Both girls told me they think subtraction is way more fun than addition. I'm confounded by this, but hey, if they think math is fun, I'm all for it!

We've also been working on our alphabet books for the girls' class with Mrs. Crane. They were due last week, but I didn't realize that in addition to their rhymes and pictures, they were also supposed to write a paragraph of information using the research they did on their animals. I helped them work on writing them. Actually, I wrote the paragraphs, and then decided that it would probably be pretty obvious that they didn't do them on their own - heh - so now we're working on them again. Abbie and I got her American Avocet paragraph done - probably a little more mom-like than it should be, but we got everything in there she wanted to say. Tomorrow we will do her Indigo Bunting paragraph, and Emma will finish hers so we can get them typed and they can draw their pictures.

We did some fun physics experiments with air this week. Next week I need to remember to have them draw some stuff for their science notebooks.

The Snort is feeling much better this week, thankfully. He's still working on cutting molars on top of having a cold (2 down, 2 to go) so we still have copious amounts of snot flowing around here, but no more fevers or scary breathing. He still wheezes, but my understanding of this RSV thing is that he could potentially wheeze for up to 6 weeks. Have nebulizer, will force him to sit and take breathing treatments.

I finished my first toe-up sock this week - that felt like a major accomplishment! Sadly, when I bound it off, it was too tight to get onto my foot. My very good friend and fellow sock knitter, Melissa, told me of a niftier and stretchier cast-off, so I undid mine. However, when I read the instructions, they are written for a K1 P1 rib, rather than a K2 P1 rib like I had knitted. I have not one clue how to adjust the technique to suit the rib I knitted, so I took it out and am in the process of knitting the K1 P1 rib so I can do the tubular bind off.

And, last but not least, I got a new cell phone! It is very cool, and very purple. I downloaded "Drift Away" by Dobie Gray to be my ring tone. Todd is working on getting the rocked out version of "Hedwig's Theme" for me - it's on the phone but we can't figure out how to make it a ring tone yet. I had a lot of fun playing with my new phone today, and the Snort even managed to make a call with it.

That's about it for us! I hope to get pictures of our snow days up soon. I am such a slacker blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment